Dr. Vassilis Belessiotis is Emeritus Director of Research at the “DEMOKRITOS” National Center for Scientific Research. He has been the founder and Head of the “Solar & other Energy Systems Laboratory” from 1983 to 2019, the first Laboratory of an Academic Institution in Europe to be accredited, originally under the EN 45001 Standard, then under ISO IEC 17025.
He has been active for over thirty five years in the scientific area of “Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Savings Systems”.
Scientific Work : Scientific responsible in various competitive research programs funded by external sources (amounting to a total of over 8 mil. Euro), five books (one of which in the English language), six original scientific publications in specialized International Encyclopedias (ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS and ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ENERGY), as well as over 250 publications in international journals, international and national, peer-reviewed conference proceedings and specialized studies.
HONORARY DISTINCTIONS – INTERNATIONAL RECOGNITION : Two honorary distinctions for his contribution to QUALITY and “Good Laboratory Practice” (2001 and 2003 respectively), one for his over-20-year scientific contribution in the field of SOLAR ENERGY (2006, International Solar Energy Society), one prize for “Best Sustainable Construction” at SESL/NCSR-D as Scientific Responsible of the “Prometheus, Fire Bringer” project (NTUA 2008) and one by the Greek Solar Energy Industry Association (EBHE) “in recognition of his long standing and key contributions to Research and advancement of applications in the field of Solar Energy in Greece” (general assembly of EBHE, 18-01-2013). His international recognition is attested by the more than 3500 citations (with an h-index of 34) to his scientific publications in international journals, encyclopedias and invitations for specialized talks in the field of solar energy by foreign universities and International Conferences.
POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY :
• Laboratory Director of NCSR “DEMOKRITOS”
• Member of the Scientific-Advisory Council of a NCSR-D Institute
• Chairman of the GREEK LABORATORY ASSOCIATION (HellasLab)
• Member of the National Accreditation Council (ESYD)
• Member of the National Council for Quality and Competitiveness (NSRF)
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Center for Renewable Energy Sources (CRES)
• Vice-Chairman of the Solar Technology Institute (IHT) of Greece
• Vice-Chairman of the Board of Directors and executive member of the GREEK STANDARDIZATION BODY (ELOT)
• Member of the 5-member selection committee for the Scientific Council for Research and
Innovation of the Peloponnese Province.
His participation in all the above positions has been regarded as being from important to pivotal.