The general strategic approach and baseline of the Institute in the General Thematic Area of Clean Energy & Environmental Impacts monitoring and reduction is to perform high quality applied R&D and develop / sustain the respective infrastructure in a concerted effort to take advantage of Greece’s climatic conditions and rich potential for Renewable Energy Sources (RES, particularly solar) development and exploitation. Further strategic aims are related to:
- the need to contribute to the transition towards a sustainable, climate-safe future energy system mainly focusing on the development and use of solar energy, alternative fuels (hydrogen, ammonia etc.), thermal storage, decarbonisation technologies etc.;
- the need to serve the growth of the existing energy – environment industry in the country in a safe and efficient manner (e.g. power generation and chemical industry, hydrocarbons industry, solar thermal manufacturing sector, energy / environmental service providers) . This also involves the use of advanced risk / safety as well as process analysis methods and tools.
- the need to study climate change (through experimental and modeling approaches), mitigate its effects on a regional scale and address issues related to critical infrastructure resilience and protection;
- the need to monitor, analyze and assess the indoor and outdoor air quality, provide detailed characterization of pollution sources and their radiological and health impacts under various conditions (urban, industrial, etc.);
- the need to develop analytical protocols and risk assessment methods for existing and new Persistent Organic Pollutants, to monitor their levels in food, environment and population, and evaluate human exposure / relevant public health issues;
- the need to maintain the high quality and research excellence of the unique environmental / clean energy infrastructures of the Institute at a National and European level and demonstrate the research potential and added value data and services delivered to the Research community and the Public.