NCSR “Demokritos” ENRACT is coordinating the european project LIFE-FROSTDEFEND, with other partners including MSENSIS SA, the Farmers Unions Vostizza, the Agricultural University of Athens and the French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and Environment (INRAE).
LIFE-FROSTDEFEND project aims to design, develop and demonstrate the benefits of a novel monitoring and frost forecasting tool to mitigate frost injury in high yield agriculture crops. More specifically the project aims to:
- Design and develop a smart IoT-based system for monitoring selected atmospheric and agronomic parameters, forecasting frost events, and provide early warnings of adverse conditions
- Assess and predict the vulnerability and sensitivity of different types of fruit trees to frost events
- Develop and implement anticipated responses to frost events using sustainable techniques with low carbon footprint to reduce the epiphytic populations of ice nucleation active bacteria under a critical threshold
- Strengthening local capacities and provide guidelines about the best agricultural practices, technologies and support services, to reduce vulnerability and enhance resilience
- Demonstrate the entire effort to several agricultural areas with different geographical and climatic characteristics
- Develop the FROSTDEFEND Adaptation Plan to promote best available techniques and environmental practices
- Increase awareness among target groups and end-users towards climate responsible attitudes.